With #CapeTown reservoir levels plummeting to record lows, the #CapeWaterCrisis has become a major concern for the entire country. We’re proud to present our latest #BiteSizeBallet, a rain dance for the drought-stricken province.
Inspired by Queen Modjadji of the Balobedu people, and shot on location at the near-empty Theewaterskloof Dam, the dance was choreographed and performed by senior soloist @Kitty Phetla.
While we hope it will bring rain, this dance is also an important reminder of the value of water to life on earth, and the necessity to conserve it at all costs. If you’re travelling to the Western Cape this festive season, please make water conservation an absolute priority.
“Rising star Misty Copeland makes history as the first African American Female Principal Dancer with the prestigious American Ballet Theatre.
When she discovered ballet, however, Misty was living in a shabby motel room, struggling with her five siblings for a place to sleep on the floor. A true prodigy, she was dancing en pointe within three months of taking her first dance class and performing professionally in just over a year: a feat unheard of for any classical dancer”.
Read more HERE
Vocabulary chunks to learn after watching the video :
- Dance came into my life very unexpected
- With my single parent, my mother and 5 of my siblings
- I could make a career out of something I enjoyed doing
- Something that I was passionate about
- Something that gave me a voice
- A major ballet company
- To set an example of what a healthy image is
- Dreams are possible
- You really can push yourself to become anything with the right work ethic and support around you
- I hope to see more diversity on the stage
- I hope the audience is more diverse
- People go to see performances
- They want to see themselves up there
- Endless opportunities
- Something they could attain
- I want them to be able to see dreams through me
Vocabulary to learn after watching the video :
- You leave home at a very very young age
- To pursue to becoming professional ballerinas
- It was a stepping stone in the right direction towards becoming a part of a company
- New York City Ballet was the dream company
- So I’m now officially a part of the New York City Ballet
- I honestly couldn’t be more honored
- You take class at 10.30
- Have rehearsal until 7 o’clock
- When there is performance, you have a show at 7.30
- I have to work on who I am on stage
- What makes someone stand out, what makes someone unique
- Everyone is unique in their own way
- There are so many people I look up to
- In five years my goal is to be a better dancer, to be a better artist