Common collocations for essays :
- It builds/ sustains/ maintains (relationships)
- It liberates/empowers (women)
- It hinders/impedes (progress)
- It hampers/obstructs (development)
- It limits/restricts (freedom)
- It reduces (habitat loss)
- It accelerates/reverses (global warming).
- It minimizes/eliminates/eradicates (human error)
- It eases (tension),
- It stifles (creativity).
- It ensures (equal opportunities).
- It maintains (harmony).
- It encourages/promotes (diversity)
- It stimulates (growth/the economy)
- It generates (income)
- It facilitates (learning).
- It triggers (unrest/a recession).
- It sours (relations between countries)
- It strengthened (food production)
- It raises incomes (yes it was plural where I saw it! Normally it’s uncountable/singular)
- It perpetuates the myth/stereotypes
- It prolongs the agony.
- It delays the inevitable/ the onset of Alzheimer’s
- It provokes a response.
- It instills values in children
- (School uniforms) instill discipline, a sense of self-worth, and equality ….but the evidence that they help foster equality is not so clear-cut.
- To address/alleviate poverty
- To ensure sufficient food for all
Source : Read MORE
- One reason for this is that
- This can be explained by…
- This can be attributed to the fact that…
Giving further reasons
- Not only ……., but…
- A further reason is…
- It should also be stated that…
Citing general opinions
- It has been claimed that…
- It is widely believed that…
- There is a widespread belief that…
- I would dispute this, however.
- However, this is not necessarily the case.
- There are some faults with this reasoning, however.
- It could be argued that…
- One explanation might be that…
- This suggests that…
Strengthening an argument
- There can be no doubt that…
- Therefore, we can say beyond any doubt that…
- These are just some of the reasons why…
Concluding and summarising
- To sum up, … / In summary, … / In short, …
- Overall, … / On the whole, …
- To return to my original idea,…